
Wetipquin One-Room School
The Wetipquin One-Room School, built around 1868, was an essential educational institution in the Tyaskin District. It is listed as School No. 6 on the 1877 atlas of the district, located at the intersection of Peter's Creek (Royal Oak) Road and Sandy Hill Road. The school had a pump house outside, which also served as a storage space for wood.
The school accommodated approximately thirty to forty children, ranging in age from 6 to 11 years. Some of the early teachers who taught there include Ora Taylor, Myra Bennett, Maude Horsey, Nina Adkins, and Maude Graham.
When the Wetipquin One Room School eventually closed, its students were transferred to Nanticoke Elementary School. The history and significance of this school are documented in sources like "Wicomico County One Room Schools 1975" and an article from The Courier dated January 21, 1905.
History of Education in Wetipquin
Early Education Efforts
Prior to the Revolutionary War, public education in Maryland was inconsistent and poorly organized. Revenue for education came from taxes on certain imports and native products, as well as licenses for designated transactions. Occasionally, lotteries were also used as a funding source. Wealthier families often sent their sons to England, Philadelphia, or Williamsburg for advanced education. Meanwhile, children from less affluent families received elementary instruction from private tutors, who were sometimes family members, clergymen, or indentured servants. In some cases, families would collectively hire a tutor.
The demand for advanced education led to the establishment of boarding academies, funded by student tuition, private donations, and occasional contributions from the Maryland General Assembly.
Early Records in Somerset County
Between 1714 and 1718, records indicate that David Evans, a teacher in Somerset County, owned land on Wetipquin Creek near the Dashiell tract known as "Long Hill." This highlights the presence of educational efforts in the area during the early 18th century.
Wetipquin Academy
The Wetipquin Academy, established in 1834, served as an early educational institution in the community. In 1841, it received $200 from the Maryland Legislature, sourced from interest on surplus revenue of the United States. The academy offered studies in subjects such as Orthography, Latin, Greek, Geography, Logistics, Navigation, Surveying, Oratory, Mathematics, and Philosophy.
Education for Women
By 1850, little attention was given to the education of females, which primarily focused on domestic skills and social etiquette for young women from affluent families.
The Wetipquin Schoolhouse
The 1877 Atlas of Tyaskin District in Wicomico County depicts a boarding school located at Royal Oak in Wetipquin. In 1868, the newly established Wicomico County Board of Education appointed school commissioners for each of the county’s ten election districts.
On April 23, 1873, Samuel J. Riggins and others deeded land to the Wicomico County Board of Education for a new school. Shortly thereafter, a one-room schoolhouse (School No. 6) was constructed at the corner of Sandy Hill Road and Royal Oak Road. The school served approximately 30–40 children aged 6–17. Outside the school, there was a pump house and storage for firewood.
Life at the School
In the early 20th century, female teachers at the Sandy Hill schoolhouse boarded at the Mitchell farm, known as "Wesson." School sessions had previously been held in an upstairs room of the two-story section of the farm.
Notable early teachers included Ora Taylor, Myra Bennett, Maude Horsey, Nina Adkins, and Maude Graham. After the school closed, students attended Nanticoke Elementary School, and the property was sold.
Activities and Community Events
The following article sheds light on the vibrant activities of Wetipquin School No. 6 and the Royal Oak School:
“Wetipquin Jottings”
"The recent heavy rains have retarded the corn plantings, and the frequent frost have made young watermelon plants look somewhat sickly. On Saturday evening last, the monotony of our everyday life was broken, and we were enlivened by a very pleasant entertainment at the Baptist Church, given by Miss Pollitt, teacher of the school at Royal Oak.
The people began to arrive at an early hour, and by the time the performance opened, the building was crowded. The exercises began at about 7:30 p.m., featuring a variety of performances, including tableaux, charades, recitations, and music. The entertainment was well-organized and executed, reflecting the taste and ability of the teacher.
The pupils performed admirably, displaying a coolness and ease while speaking that was highly pleasing. Music was provided by local ladies and gentlemen, with Mr. William Crosby at the organ. Highlights of the evening included 'Answers to Prayer,' a reading by Miss Maude Taylor, which was met with loud applause; 'Refinement,' a piece featuring the teacher herself; and 'The Moneyless Man,' which was witty and engaging. The evening concluded around 11:30 p.m. with a tableau titled 'An Angel of Light.' The audience left well-pleased with the evening's experience.
Mr. George N. Crosby also gave a public examination of his school on the last day of the term. Despite a lack of parent participation, Mr. Crosby’s dedication to education was evident. The absence of trustees and many parents, however, highlighted the community's indifference to their children’s mental welfare—a sentiment greatly deplored."
Wetipquin School No. 6
"An examination of the Wetipquin school took place on a rainy Wednesday. Mr. Dashiell, the teacher, demonstrated significant progress compared to the previous year. After the exercises, students were treated to candy, cake, and lemonade by their teacher, which was thoroughly appreciated. The teacher also received tokens of appreciation from his pupils. Despite the rain, 40 students attended. The trustees showed their interest by being present and offering words of encouragement to the teacher."